Mexican food was not something I ate very much of when I was growing up. And I can honestly say I still don’t know a lot about Mexican cuisine. I’m sure there are very definite criteria for what makes a taco a taco. And you’re not going to find the answer to that here. In my mind a taco is a hard shell with some mince, lettuce, tomato and cheese. Because I’m not stuck on what a taco should be I’ve created my version. And here it is. A walnut vegan taco.
I usually love the crisp taco shell and this filling would work great in it, but this time I’ve made it with a soft wrap and also with a lettuce shell which I’m sure is sacrilegious. My vegan taco uses a walnut and mushroom mixture to get the texture of mince and I’ve replaced dairy cheese with cashew cheese, although you could use your favourite taco sauce.
Tacos are such an easy, fun recipe to make. Because of this they are often a go to meal for me when I have lots of other things on because I can quickly chop a few ingredients and put it all on the table for everyone to help themselves. This recipe is even easier, as all it requires is a quick whiz in a food processor.
If you want to make this meal even faster, use the mushrooms raw. You won’t need as many, only around half, as they usually reduce a little when you cook them. Why not add in some different options like corn kernels, beans or capsicum.
These vegan tacos work for a main meal and also for a snack if you’re using the lettuce leaves as wraps. They are also gluten free with the lettuce. If you like the traditional hard taco shells you can use them too. Why not put out a variety of wrap options – hard shell, soft shell and lettuce and then you really will have a help-yourself-everyone’s-happy type meal. Serve with savoury cashew cream.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 wraps
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Spanish
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 200 g mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 cups walnuts
- 2-3 tbsp sundried tomatoes + 1oil from the jar
- 2 tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup savoury yeast flakes
- 2 tsp chilli
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 baby cos lettuces (or 8 wraps)
- 3 tomatoes (chopped)
- ½ cup red cabbage (shredded)
- 1 cup chopped lettuce (if using taco shells or bread wraps)
Cashew creme cheese (optional)
- 1 ½ cups cashews (soaked for at least 2 hours)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup water
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan, add the mushrooms and cook until softened. Set aside.
- Place the walnuts into a food processor and pulse until chopped roughly.
- Add the sundried tomatoes and pulse until they are chopped. Don’t over pulse as the mixture will become mushy.
- Add the sea salt, savoury yeast flakes, chilli, garlic, paprika, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper. Pulse until combined.
- Add the mushrooms and pulse again until combined.
- Place a layer of the walnut mixture on each lettuce leaf, or wrap.
- Layer tomatoes and cabbage on the walnut mixture. Serve with lettuce if you’re using hard or soft taco shells.
- Top with cashew creme cheese or your favourite taco sauce.
Cashew Creme Cheese
- Combine the cashews, garlic, water, lemon juice, salt and apple cider vinegar in a strong blender and blend for about 5 minutes until smooth.