What exactly are sliders? And what are vegan sliders?
I have always assumed that a slider is a mini hamburger, and any kind of hamburger that is mini in size is a slider. Sounds simple, right? I did a bit of research and it revealed some really passionate people who are very specific about what a slider is and what a slider is not. The term slider apparently came from a hamburger chain called White Castle who wanted to re-invent a burger because the perception of ground beef was not very appetising.
And vegan sliders? Apparently that’s an oxymoron. But the English language is all about change, so I’m going along with a re-invention of perception and calling this mini burger made with a mushroom bun, chickpea and lentil pattie, avocado, tomato and rocket a vegan slider.
It’s small. It can be eaten in two bites. And you can easily eat a few in one sitting. So far, all the slider boxes are ticked.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 20 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Australian
For the Patties
- 2 carrots (grated)
- 1 zucchini (grated)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can lentils
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 2 tbsp savoury yeast flakes
For the Mushroom Buns
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 40 white or brown button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp Braggs seasoning
- 1 avocado
- 1 handful rocket
- 2 small tomatoes (sliced)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Add grated carrots, grated zucchini, chickpeas, lentils, cumin, flax meal and savoury yeast flakes to a food processor.
- Process until combined. It should be fairly smooth
- Roll into small balls. Place on a baking sheet, flatten.
- Spray with oil.
- Bake for 15 mins, flip and bake a further 15 mins
- When the patties are cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and place the cap side down in the saucepan.
- Cook for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the Bragg’s seasoning and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- When the patties are cooked, place half the mushrooms cap side down on a serving plate.
- Mash avocado and divide it between the mushroom cups, top with rocket, tomato and a patty.
- Place mushroom cup on top, to serve.