- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 40 medium gingerbread men 1x
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: Australian
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 5 cups wholemeal plain flour
- 1 tsp bi carb soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 100 g coconut oil (melted)
- 100 g apple sauce
- ½ cup molasses
- ½ cup almond milk
- Put the brown sugar into a large bowl and break up any large lumps.
- Sift the flour, bi card soda and spices over the brown sugar.
- Add the salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients together until well combined.
- Put the coconut oil, apple sauce, molasses and almond milk in a small bowl and whisk together until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine. Mix them together until you get a dough type texture. If the mixture is too wet just add more flour until you get the right texture.
- Cut the “dough” into 4 and make squares, wrap each square in glad wrap and place in the fridge for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Line trays with baking paper.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out one square at a time onto a well floured bench.
- Use cookie cutters to cut shapes out of the dough.
- Gently pull the scrap gingerbread away from the shape and re-roll, flatten and cut out more shapes from the cookie dough.
- Use a spatula to lift your shapes off the bench and place on trays.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Decorate when completely cool and store in an airtight container.