Balls are so popular now and in particular fruit nut balls. No one ever ate balls when I was growing up, but now they are almost the snack of choice. Go to any cafe and on the counter they will probably have a jar of raw balls. And there are so many variations – protein balls, raw balls, nut free balls, sugar free balls, date free balls, cacao balls, peanut butter balls. The list goes on.
Here’s my version of a fruit and nut cacao ball. Yep, I love the fruit, I love the nuts, I love the cacao. So I decided to combine them all into one delicious, smooth, chocolate-y, nutty, fruity ball.
The fresh orange juice gives these balls a hint of orange. However, the addition of a couple of drops of wild orange essential oils really takes the orange flavour to the next level – jaffa level. But if you don’t have any essential oils then zest the skin from half of the orange. If you do have essential oils make sure they are food grade. I use and recommend doTerra oils as well as Twenty8 oils.
The balls will keep in the fridge for 4 – 6 weeks, provided you can hold yourself back from eating them all.Print
Fruit and Nut Balls
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 balls 1x
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: Australian
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup nuts (a mix of almonds, walnuts, macadamias)
- ½ cup pitted dates (chopped)
- ½ cup dried apricots (chopped)
- ½ cup sultanas
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 4 drops doTerra Wild Orange essential oil (or zest of ½ an orange )
- 1 tbsp orange juice (freshly squeezed )
- Mix the coconut and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside for rolling.
- Put all other ingredients in a food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Slowly add in the orange juice to help the mixture bind together.
- Get a spoonful (approx 33g) and roll into a small ball.
- Place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Roll each ball in the coconut mixture.
- Store in a sealed glass container in the fridge.
Need nut free balls? Try these.
Love this? Pin it!
[wpurp-searchable-recipe]Fruit and Nut Balls – – desiccated coconut, ground cinnamon, nuts (a mix of almonds, walnuts, macadamias), pitted dates (chopped), dried apricots (chopped), sultanas, cocoa, doTerra Wild Orange essential oil (or zest of ½ an orange ), orange juice (freshly squeezed ), , Mix the coconut and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside for rolling.; Put all other ingredients in a food processor.; Blend until smooth.; Slowly add in the orange juice to help the mixture bind together.; Get a spoonful (approx 33g) and roll into a small ball.; Place on a tray lined with baking paper.; Roll each ball in the coconut mixture.; Store in a sealed glass container in the fridge.; ; – – Snack – Australian – Eat – Snacks[/wpurp-searchable-recipe]