Egg Free Sponge Cake
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 1 cake 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Australian
- 2 cups Changing Habits rapadura sugar
- 1 cup solid coconut oil
- 4 cups self raising flour
- 2 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 540 ml coconut cream (2 cans)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- Place the coconut cream can in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease 4 x 20cm round tins.
- In a large bowl combine the solid coconut oil and sugar and beat until creamy.
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat until smooth – about 2-3 minutes.
- Divide the batter between the 4 tins and bake for 30 mins.
- Allow to cool completely.
- When you’re ready to ice the cake open the coconut cream and scoop out the solid cream and put into a bowl (save the liquid for a smoothie)
- Beat with an electric beater for about 2 minutes.
- Add the maple syrup and continue beating for another minute.
- To prepare the cake:
- Place one cake layer on a plate.
- Spread a thin layer of the coconut cream on the cake. If you do four layers, the bottom layer needs to have the least amount of frosting because it will ooze out with the weight of the cake.
- Top with thinly sliced strawberries.
- Top with the next cake layer and spread a thin layer of frosting over the cake.
- The thickness of the frosting is up to personal taste.
- I went for the naked look, but after two days it had been absorbed by the cake.
- Top with lots of whole, large berries.