Day 16 of Salad a Day
What can’t you do with chickpeas? You can eat them hot or cold, straight from the can (drained and rinsed) or cook them in the oven with some spices. You can also make meringue! I know! Technically, it’s not actually the chickpeas that make the meringue, it’s the water they are stored in.
Yes, next time you tip out that liquid from a can of chickpeas think of meringue, or even macarons. But I’m going to leave that for another day (sorry) because this is all about salad. Chickpeas are the star attraction in this salad.
There are just some canned goods that you should always have in your pantry and chickpeas are one of them. They are high in protein, and very nutritious.Print
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Australian
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 250 grams cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 large cucumber (chopped into thick slices then quartered)
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 400g can chickpeas
- ¼ cup mint leaves (chopped coarsely)
- ¼ cup lime juice (1–2 limes)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- Place spinach leaves on a large platter.
- Add tomatoes, cucumber and onion.
- Top with chickpeas.
- Sprinkle mint leaves on top.
- Combine lime juice, olive oil and mustard in a jar and shake to combine.
- Pour dressing over salad just before serving.
This is part of #saladaday – A fresh, new salad everyday for 30 days. After being inundated with requests to have all the salad recipes together, I’ve collated them all into an ebook, which is on sale here.