I don’t eat sandwiches very often, but when I get a craving for them I make the most of it. And lately I’ve been having a thing with zucchini. So I was wondering how I could satisfy my craving for a sandwich and still eat lots of zucchini. I found a way with these carrot and zucchini pinwheels. And as an added bonus, there’s no cooking involved. A little bit of shredding, a little bit of spreading and a whole lot of eating. Now, that’s my kind of meal.
And as an added bonus for those of you playing along at home, you can put out your own fillings, a slice of mountain bread for everyone and they can each help themselves to their favourite foods. Don’t like zucchini? No problem, swap it with sliced sun-dried tomatoes. Don’t like carrot? No problem, swap it with finely sliced capsicum.
Add your own fillings, roll it, then slice into 5 cm pieces and then turn them on the side (you have to get the pinwheel effect) and then eat them.
These pinwheels have one other thing that I try to add to as many dishes as possible – and that’s avocado! A couple of avocados mashed, a generous squeeze of lime juice, even add some jalapeños or ground chilli if you like a bit of spice. I’ve just realised, this is like the lunchtime version of tacos. Put it out, and everyone helps themselves!
I love using food grade essential oils in food. With these pinwheels I’ve added a drop of lime oil. This gives the pinwheels a citrusy taste as well as containing antiseptic properties and antioxidants. Feel free to omit the lime essential oil if you don’t have any. If you do use it, ensure it is food grade. I use Twenty8 oils. They’re an Australian company from the Sunshine Coast and their founder Kim is an ultra runner, naturopath, public speaker etc. I love her oils.
Carrot and Zucchini Pinwheel Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 18 pinwheels
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Australian
- 2 avocados
- 1 tomato
- ½ lime (juiced)
- 1 drop lime essential oil (optional. I use Twenty8 oils)
- 1 carrot (shredded)
- 1 zucchini (shredded)
- 1 cup mixed lettuce leaves
- ¼ bunch coriander
- 3 pieces mountain bread
- Mash the avocados until no lumps remain and it is creamy.
- Finely dice the tomato, add to the avocado.
- Add the lime juice and essential oil and mix thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the avocado mixture evenly over the 3 pieces of mountain bread.
- Spread the carrot, zucchini, lettuce and coriander over the avocado.
- Starting from the long end, roll the mountain bread tightly.
- Cut evenly into widths about 4-5cm.
- Trim ends.
- Place cut side up on a serving platter.
- Sprinkle extra coriander over the top.