Day 15 of Salad a Day
I love the contrasting colours in this salad. The dark green of the spinach, the bright red of the beet and the fresh orange of the mandarin. All of this combines to develop a taste in your mouth before you’ve even taken a bite. And after your first mouthful, you understand the combination. So much going on with just a few ingredients.
I used a spiralizer for the beetroot to get the noodle type effect. Spiralizers are great kitchen tools, but you can survive without one. It would be too hard to try to get the same effect using a peeler or a knife, so try for something different – either small cubes, or thin juliennes.Print
Beetroot & Mandarin
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Australian
- 3 beetroots (spiralised)
- 2 mandarins (segmented)
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1 handful fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Scrub the beetroot and cut off the leafy stems.
- Spiralize the beetroot and then cut the strands into 10 cm lengths.
- If you don’t have a spiralizer, chop the beetroot into small cubes.
- Peel and segment the mandarins.
- Combine the tahini, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and maple syrup into a jar.
- Shake to combine and set aside.
- Spread the spinach leaves onto a platter.
- Top with the beetroot and mandarin.
- Sprinkle the pine nuts and coriander over the top.
- Serve with the dressing on the side.
You can use oranges if you can’t get mandarins.
The beetroot in this salad is eaten raw. When you spiralize beetroot it comes into long, thin strands. If you don’t have a spiralizer then you’ll either need to cut the beetroot into small cubes, or wrap them in foil and roast them for 45 mins, remove from the oven, allow to cool, peel and slice into wedges.
This is part of #saladaday – A fresh, new salad everyday for 30 days. After being inundated with requests to have all the salad recipes together, I’ve collated them all into an ebook, which is on sale here.